I offer a variety of workshops for professional development and personal growth. By keeping group sizes small I ensure maximum individual attention and a collaborative, engaging learning atmosphere.
Workshops can be booked individually, as a group, or by organizations.
Traumatic Incident Reduction (TIR) Workshop
Do you need an effective tool with which to help others deal with the effects of trauma? Then this workshop could be just what you have been looking for. TIR is an Imaginal Exposure technique that enables people to fully process and integrate their memories of traumatic events. Those who have been guided through the TIR process report either a disappearance or significant reduction of trauma symptoms such as hyper-vigilance, flashbacks, disturbances of sleep or appetite, intrusive thought,s and fears related to the trauma (for example, a fear of driving).
TIR is practiced in 22 countries world-wide, and has been acknowledged by the National Registry of Evidence Based Practices (NREPP) in the USA as one of the accepted effective techniques to address Trauma and PTSD in war veterans.
Who can attend?
This course is suitable for anyone who comes into contact with traumatized individuals in a helping capacity. Since the technique follows a very strict protocol, previous counselling training is not essential. TIR is a particularly useful tool for psychologists, social workers, counsellors, coaches, clergy, and critical incident stress debriefers.
What will you learn?
Through theory, practical work, and demonstration videos, you will be thoroughly prepared to be able to use the techniques by the end of the workshop. The workshop content covers:
• Theory of trauma
• Understanding the metapsychology approach on which TIR and a large number of other techniques are based
• Theory and practice of the Unblocking technique – a very effective short technique to assist people with relationships and situations in which they are having difficulties.
• Theory and practice of the TIR technique
• Application of the TIR technique to long-lasting personal issues such as recurring unwanted thoughts, feelings, attitude and emotional responses.
On successful completion of the workshop you will:
• Be able to address a variety of personal difficulties using the TIR and Unblocking techniques.
• Be able to effectively resolve the symptoms of trauma
• Receive a certificate from the Traumatic Incident Reduction Association (TIRA) in the USA
• Be eligible to Join TIRA-South Africa, membership of which includes being listed as a TIR facilitator on their website as well as discounts to symposiums and forums.
• Be able to register with the Council for Counsellors as a TIR facilitator
• Be eligible to attend the advanced workshops to learn a wide variety of metapsychology techniques, including how to draw up a case plan for a new client, how to address a large number of personal issues and difficulties, and how to work with traumatized children.
• Be eligible to complete an internship to become a Registered Facilitator with TIRA USA. This is the first step to becoming a certified TIR trainer and Senior Trainer (a trainer who is qualified to present the two advanced workshops that follows on the TIR training).
Duration: 4 days
Social workers will earn 18 CPD points on attending this workshop
Short Skills Development Workshops
Navigating our way through life can be challenging, and the skills that are most crucial to living a joyful life are rarely taught. My personal growth workshops were developed to address this need. Increased understanding of yourself and others, better ways to communicate, strategies for self-motivation and stress management, these and other skills can all be used to improve the quality of your relationships and your life.
These workshops can also be attended by counsellors and coaches to expand their knowledge of different modalities and increase their skillset.
Transactional Analysis (TA) is a beautifully simple and easy-to-understand model of how people think and interact with others. It has been used to help people have healthier, happier lives and relationships for decades.
This one-day workshop will provide you with a solid understanding of the basics of the system in such a way that you can immediately apply it to your own life with great results. It also serves as a good introduction to the topic for those in a counselling or coaching role.
Join me and discover:
• How old, unexamined decisions influence us today
• How false beliefs contaminate our thinking
• Why we react in ways that prevent us from having our needs met
• Communicating co-operatively and avoiding antagonistic conflict
• Where that overly critical voice inner voice comes from, and what you can do about it
Duration: 1 Day
Healthy Mental Habits
Have you ever noticed how often your own thoughts serve to sap your motivation and make you miserable, angry, or afraid? If you would like to learn how to recognize negative mental habits and replace them with ones that support you rather than sabotage you, this short skills training workshop might be just what you have been looking for.
Based on the principles of NLP, this workshop will teach you:
• To be self-encouraging rather than self-sabotaging
• Some simple adjustments to your current habits that can increase your happiness and sense of well-being
• Techniques to examine your own motives and values for better self-understanding
• The foundational principles of NLP (Neuro-Linguistic Programming)
Duration: 1 day
We all have to deal with high demands on our mental and emotional resources. We live in a constant state of stress that adversely affects our health and our ability to experience joy and contentment in life. While no course can remove your sources of stress, this workshop will provide you with practical skills to minimise the negative effects of stress on your life, relationships and health.
Duration: 1 Day